What is MMSCL 2.0?
Your chance to discover web 2.0 tools and technologies through a series of exercises that you can complete at your own pace.
Already familiar with many of these tools? That’s great – the exercises will be a breeze and you can help guide someone who isn’t familiar with these things to discover new and emerging technologies.
We’re looking to:
- Encourage staff to explore and experiment with new technologies
- Provide tools that can assist the staff in providing outstanding service to our patrons and peers
- Reward staff for taking the initiative to participate and complete these self-discovery exercises
WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?
(1) One of the most basic functions of a library is to aid in the discovery and dissemination of information. What better way to support this mission than to discover and share information with each other and with our patrons. Web 2.0 technologies help us reach those goals and enhance our services. These tools are already used by millions of people and more discover them each day. The more we know about them, the more we can reach out to help ourselves, our community and our patrons.
(2) It’s fun!
(3) I want a chance to win a raffle prize.
STAFF PRIZES AND INCENTIVES
If you complete all exercises and record your progress on the staff page by June 30, 2009 you will earn your individual incentive and will be entered to win one of our great raffles! Check the Director's Blog for more details.
Take a look at the list of activities and get started!
____________________________________________________
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How does this online learning program work?
This is a self-discovery program which encourages staff to take control of their own learning and to utilize their lifelong learning skills through exploration and PLAY. There will be no classes or workshops offered to support this program.
Instead, staff are encouraged to work together and share with each other their discoveries, techniques and "how to's" both in person and through their blogs.
- Is this program open to all staff?
This program is open to ALL MMSCL staff regardless of position and status (full and part time).
- How long do I have to complete the program?
Staff has until June 30, 2009 to complete all activities and record progress on the staff page. If you complete by this date you will receive an incentive and qualify for the final prize drawing.
- How do I track my progress?
Each staff member that participates in this program will be required to keep a blog to track their progress and will also need to record progress on the staff page after completing each activity.
- Will there be any training classes offered to show staff how to do this?
No, this is a self-directed learning program. If you feel you need assistance with an item, you are encouraged to be resourceful and to find a co-worker or another staff member who can help. Reading other staff member's blogs can help, too. Check the list of participants to find staff who have offered to be mentors.
- Can I work ahead through the list of items on my own?
Yes, of course. You are encouraged to self-direct your discovery process, especially by working ahead on your own!! However, if you do work ahead on some items, be sure to check back on the exercise details for each item once they are posted so you can be sure to recei ve full credit for its completion.
- What if I need help - who can I call?
Since this program is self-directed and is being completed by many staff members at the same time, you are encouraged to work with colleagues along your discovery journey. To find a list of staff participating see Staff Participants. You can also send an email to communitylibrary2@gmail.com .
- I would like to earn the my incentive and be entered to win the raffles but don't feel comfortable with my co-workers reading my blog, can I participate anonymously?
Yes & No. Since you control all the information that you share on your blog, you can choose to use a screen name to identify yourself to keep yourself anonymous. However, in order to receive your incentive and qualify for the grand prize drawing, you will need to record your progress on the staff page under your actual name.
- Once I complete all the activities, how do I get my prize?
If you complete all the activities by the June 30, 2009, you will receive your incentive and be entered to win the raffles, but if you complete after June 30, there is NO guarantee that you will receive the incentive or be eligible for the raffles.
Don't find your question answered here? Then enter it is as comment below.
4 comments:
I've been finished with the exercise for a while, but some of my things aren't colored in. Do I need to do something else?
(Thats what she said)
My activites have been done for a few weeks now, but I've only received 10 coupons and my #15 (Google Docs) OK has not turned dark purple.
Pina
I have completed seven activities and had posted my comments in "the profile" that exhibits my picture taken here at the Library. I have received my coupons and have been given credit for them. But today I tried 'flckr' which I think is an interesting site. However I was not able to get back to the profile site to make a record of it. Where do I go from here?
Margaret Neff
Well, I finished all of my excercies. Waiting for my okays to be colored in.
Post a Comment